Monday, August 31, 2009

It Will Happen

Ezekiel 12:21-25
(21) And the word of the LORD came to me:
(22) "Son of man, what is this proverb that you have about the land of Israel, saying, 'The days grow long, and every vision comes to nothing'?
(23) Tell them therefore, 'Thus says the Lord GOD: I will put an end to this proverb, and they shall no more use it as a proverb in Israel.' But say to them, The days are near, and the fulfillment of every vision.
(24) For there shall be no more any false vision or flattering divination within the house of Israel.
(25) For I am the LORD; I will speak the word that I will speak, and it will be performed. It will no longer be delayed, but in your days, O rebellious house, I will speak the word and perform it, declares the Lord GOD."

Not being a prophet, the son of a prophet, or even working for a non-profit, I can't be too sure about this, but I've got to think that unfulfilled prophecies have to be very high on the list of the frustrations of God's annointed. Ezekiel and others predicted doom for Jerusalem. The people saw some of it, but were in kind of a limbo time. The final exile was yet to happen, so they went back to thinking that all was well. Plus, it seems that there were those who gave false prophecies to tickle the ears of the people.

Our inclination is always for certaintly. I know that I tend to have such small faith when it comes to things like these. I know that Christ will return someday, but I would really appreciate a date. God chose not to give us any kind of certain dates, despite what some folks with their end-time charts may tell us. We are to accept His promises by faith.

What seems bizarre to me is that we can look at how many of His prophecies were fulfilled even within the time of Scripture. This book is a great example of it. King Zedekiah was eventually exiled and blinded. The city did fall. And getting outside of this book, we know that the prediction of Isaiah 7:14 was ultimately fulfilled in the coming of Christ. It's prophecies like these that help to cement my faith in Scripture.

All this tells me that I need to patiently wait on God. He has given me no promises other than my salvation and that Christ will eventually come to set the world right again. Frankly, that needs to be enough.

No comments: