Saturday, June 18, 2011

Do Something!

 1 Corinthians 4:20 For the kingdom of God does not consist in talk but in power.



20 οὐ γὰρ ἐν λόγῳ ἡ βασιλεία τοῦ θεοῦ ἀλλ᾽ ἐν δυνάμει

Here Paul is addressing the folks who are arrogant about what they believe, but are not doing anything about it. Sadly, this seems to describe many who profess an orthodox faith in Christ. It's ironic as I sit here in my basement writing this post because this could be said of me at times. Paul is basically asking what they are doing with their faith. 


Perhaps I'm particularly sensitive to this after finishing seminary, but this can be a serious problem. Liberal churches seem to get the power part down really well. They are socially-conscious and do what they can to help people. They demonstrate the power of the gospel quite well, though their theology makes one wonder if they are trying to earn salvation somehow. I can't really speak to their hearts, so this is just a guess.


But I've had the parking lot discussions with classmates about how things should be. I've read blog posts and the discussions in the comments afterwards. I've heard stirring sermons about Christ's commands to action. And then I look at my own life and wonder where it all is. What am I doing with all of this? I am working with my family, which is my first priority. I am also working on a church plant and that will be a venue for ministry as well.


The point is that Christians are expected to be about the business of doing. We cannot enjoy the blessings of Ephesians 2:8-9 without reading the next verse. We were created to do good works. The works do not change our standing before the Lord, but they do flow out of it. 


What are you doing?

No comments: