Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Fighting in Cyberspace

I've just spent the last 30 minutes or so reading a big battle in the blogosphere about homosexuality and Christ. I'm not going to link to it because it is so disturbing. On one hand you have a woman who is open about living in a homosexual lifestyle and calls herself a Christian. On the other you have a woman who was delivered from the homosexual lifestyle, but then is proud of her husband for "ripping Deb to shreds" in his radio show.

This debate represents everything that is wrong about both sides of this issue. One side cherry picks the Bible and reads it very liberally. It figures that Christ loved sinners, so it's OK if we sin. And after all, isn't the command against lust? And since I'm in a monogamous relationship it's OK. The other side comes across like the "God hates fags" crowd. This just sickens me too.

When I read the Bible I see a message of love and acceptance for all sinners. But I also see a message of repentance. Both sides seem to miss half of the equation. I can handle the side that reads Scripture very liberally as I know how darkened my understanding was when I lived in habitual sin. But the side that focuses just on wrath is much worse because they should know better. To me, neither side is "getting it".

Now are they saved? That's not for me to say. But my instinct would be to say no on both sides. Given the rhetoric, it looks like they either both are or they both aren't.

Ephesians 4:1-7 ESV
(1) I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called,
(2) with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love,
(3) eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
(4) There is one body and one Spirit--just as you were called to the one hope that belongs to your call--
(5) one Lord, one faith, one baptism,
(6) one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.
(7) But grace was given to each one of us according to the measure of Christ's gift.

3 comments:

Dani Kekoa said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your insights.

For the record, this debate with Christian lesbian Deb has been going on pretty heavy since March.

In the beginning, I was nice and offered compassion - but one can only take some much twisting of Scripture, perverting the Gospel and mocking of God before I get angry. Surely you understand how frusturating it can be - especially since we know that God hates sin and commands us to rebuke the wicked.

Perhaps you should actually listen to the radio show - it is dedicated to a young girl named Maxime who came out of sexual immorality as a direct result of my blog and the many debates I have had with Deb - it's actually really encouraging.

Jason said...

I know just what you mean. It was the "ripped her to shreds" comment that set me off.

Check out the link in my template to "Setting Captives Free". It's a ministry I'm involved in and hopefully it's something you can recommend to others.

We walk such a fine line between the need to speak the truth in love and tolerance. I really hate how so many have emasculated Jesus by making Him supposedly soft on sin. If He was so soft on sin why did He have to die on the cross?

DirkStar said...

Want to see some “real” flower power?