Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Shortness of Life

Can you pray this with David?

Psalms 39:4 ESV
(4) "O LORD, make me know my end and what is the measure of my days; let me know how fleeting I am!


David wanted a keen sense of how short this life is in contrast to the eternal glory that awaited him upon his death. This psalm is about David's desire to hold his tongue. He wanted God to sanctify him and he knew that having an understanding of the insignificance of this life would be part of that.

I contrast this to a couple of my coworkers who are afraid to talk about death. What I realize is that it is pretty normal to be afraid if you don't have any real hope? It's a bit of a cliche, but I think that the "Know Jesus, know peace; no Jesus, no peace" line is definitely true.

Do you know Him?

No comments: