Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Priorities

Matthew 6:21
(21) For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

It's amazing just how cutting Jesus' words are. These hit me like a punch in the stomach. I'm pretty good about how I handle money now. I wasn't always and I could still improve, but in general I'm pretty good. Amanda is really the more generous one and thanks to her we give fairly generously in a lot of ways.

I write that not to boast, but to consider where we are. It would be easy for me to rest on those laurels and say that we're doing enough. As a family perhaps we are. But then I think about it more deeply:

Are we hospitable? We can be, but not nearly as much as we probably should be. Having company over can cause a lot of stress, so we tend not to do it.

What motivates me? My birthday is on Friday and I have to admit that I'm pretty much living for that. Amanda got me some surprise and I really want to know what it is. I'm very much looking forward to a day off of work. I'm looking forward to the end of the semester too. I just want to relax a little bit. Plus, I'm looking forward to seeing what kinds of gifts other people got me. I'm looking forward to reading books and playing with toys.

I don't think that there is anything inherently wrong with these things, but I want to make sure that they don't become my treasure. My treasure must be Christ. He must be sufficient. The way I look at life often tells me that He really isn't sufficient for me and that gives me pause.

How about you? Is Christ your treasure? Are you like the man who found a treasure in a field and sold everything so he could obtain the treasure? Or is he more like the cherry on your life's sundae?

No comments: