Friday, January 22, 2010

Dinner Reservations

Matthew 26:17-18
(17)  Now on the first day of Unleavened Bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying, "Where will you have us prepare for you to eat the Passover?"
(18)  He said, "Go into the city to a certain man and say to him, 'The Teacher says, My time is at hand. I will keep the Passover at your house with my disciples.'"

(17)  Τῇ δὲ πρώτῃ τῶν ἀζύμων προσῆλθον οἱ μαθηταὶ τῷ Ἰησοῦ λέγοντες, Ποῦ θέλεις ἑτοιμάσωμέν σοι φαγεῖν τὸ πάσχα; 
(18)  ὁ δὲ εἶπεν, Ὑπάγετε εἰς τὴν πόλιν πρὸς τὸν δεῖνα καὶ εἴπατε αὐτῷ, Ὁ διδάσκαλος λέγει, Ὁ καιρός μου ἐγγύς ἐστιν· πρὸς σὲ ποιῶ τὸ πάσχα μετὰ τῶν μαθητῶν μου.

I don't have any profound exegetical insights from this passage, but am writing about it because it has always fascinated me.  I have wondered if Jesus had spoken to this man long before.  Or maybe Jesus knew Him to be a faithful man who would be all too happy to have Jesus keep the Passover at his house.

What I do know is that this is one more piece of evidence for the absolute sovereignty of God.  For Jesus to say something like this indicates certainty on His part.  He knew that it would work out.  He wasn't showing up to the best restaurant in town at 7:00 PM on a Friday evening and hoping to get in with a date.  He knew that this was going to happen.

This is the Lord I serve.  What an awesome privilege to know Him!

No comments: