Friday, May 28, 2010

Tending the Sheep

John 21:15 When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Feed my lambs." 16 He said to him a second time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Tend my sheep." 17 He said to him the third time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, "Do you love me?" and he said to him, "Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you." Jesus said to him, "Feed my sheep.

15 Ὅτε οὖν ἠρίστησαν λέγει τῷ Σίμωνι Πέτρῳ ὁ Ἰησοῦς· Σίμων Ἰωάννου, ἀγαπᾷς με πλέον τούτων; λέγει αὐτῷ· ναὶ κύριε, σὺ οἶδας ὅτι φιλῶ σε. λέγει αὐτῷ· βόσκε τὰ ἀρνία μου. 16  λέγει αὐτῷ πάλιν δεύτερον· Σίμων Ἰωάννου, ἀγαπᾷς με; λέγει αὐτῷ· ναὶ κύριε, σὺ οἶδας ὅτι φιλῶ σε. λέγει αὐτῷ· ποίμαινε τὰ πρόβατά μου. 17  λέγει αὐτῷ τὸ τρίτον· Σίμων Ἰωάννου, φιλεῖς με; ἐλυπήθη ὁ Πέτρος ὅτι εἶπεν αὐτῷ τὸ τρίτον· φιλεῖς με; καὶ λέγει αὐτῷ· κύριε, πάντα σὺ οἶδας, σὺ γινώσκεις ὅτι φιλῶ σε. λέγει αὐτῷ [ὁ Ἰησοῦς]· βόσκε τὰ πρόβατά μου.

This is a fairly heavily-preached passage at the very end of John's gospel.  Here Jesus restores Peter after Peter's denials on the night of Jesus' betrayal.  This is a powerful passage that displays God's grace.  I know that I am thankful for it because of my many failures.

Much is often made of the difference between Jesus' question ἀγαπᾷς με πλέον τούτων; contrasted with Peter's response of ναὶ κύριε, σὺ οἶδας ὅτι φιλῶ σε.  It is usually preached something like Jesus asking Peter if he loves Him and Peter responds, "You know that I consider you a close friend."  This is because of the supposedly great difference between αγαπη and φιλεω.  Don't let anyone fool you.  It preaches well, but the differences aren't that great.  Not enough to warrant a sermon anyway.

This is a beautiful passage.  I love how it demonstrates God's persistent grace in our lives.  He loves us when we do not deserve it.  He restores us when we think we can do nothing for Him.  But don't make too big of a deal about these words.

No comments: