Thursday, August 16, 2007

Being Reformed

I find that it is tough to hold to Reformed theology these days. I suppose it's always been tough to some degree, but I'm starting to notice it more. I have some recent experiences that support this.

I was waiting to get my hair cut on Tuesday and I could hear a conversation between one of the stylists (I go to a cheap chain) and her customer. They were talking about someone who I suppose formerly worked at that store. They were discussing her recent nuptials in Las Vegas. This was the part that struck me:

Customer: "You mean it wasn't the guy she was living with?"
Stylist: "No, it was someone else. They've only known each other for about six months."

then later in the conversation...

Customer: "I'm happy for her. She's such a good person."

This is where I had to suppress a little laugh. Part of it came from calling an adulterer a "good person". Of course, we all have sin. And we all have sins that we probably know we should do something about but refuse to deal with them. The hard part of hearing this was the idea that anyone is good since we know from Scripture that no one is good, not one.

That was on Tuesday. Then yesterday I discovered that one of the security guards at the front desk of my building is a well-educated Catholic apologist. I realize that may sound like a contradiction in terms, but he really does know his stuff. He was raised in a Pentecostal Holiness church and said that he tried every protestant denomination before deciding that the Roman Catholic Church is indeed the one true church. He teaches the adult catechism classes. He loves to debate. We discussed both Mary and sanctification.

I'm afraid that I raised his hopes too much when I told him that I would love to be able to be Catholic. That is partly true. Mass really can be a beautiful event. The organization is rich with history and tradition, both good and bad. Unfortunately, I've memorized the book of Ephesians and just can't get past chapters 1 and 2. Besides, call me a wimp, but I like the idea of perseverance of the saints. I like having a hope in something sure rather than living with the fear that perhaps there is some mortal sin on my conscience that will send me to hell.

I just find that it is so much easier not to notice things like this. It's easier to be ecumenical and not care about truth. It's easier not to get into these discussions with people. However, I do enjoy just about any chance to talk about Jesus and the Bible, so I realize that yesterday was a divine appointment. I'll have to talk with him more later one. I just wonder if either of us will ever be convinced.

After all, I am a proponent of Calvinism which he describes as "heresy". I wonder if he means hyper-Calvinism and doesn't realize it? Time will tell...

No comments: