Monday, August 17, 2009

Prayer for Repentance

Lamentations 1:18
(18) "The LORD is in the right, for I have rebelled against his word; but hear, all you peoples, and see my suffering; my young women and my young men have gone into captivity.


Metaphorically speaking, Jerusalem realized her folly. She understood that she had rebelled against the Lord and His Word. She did not plead for an end to suffering, but asked that her suffering be used as an example to others. She wanted to use it to glorify God. In other words, she got it right after she had got it wrong for so long.

I think this is a much-needed reminder in Evangelicalism today. We need to remember that repentance is not just punching our tickets to heaven. It is a matter of realizing the folly of our sin against the Word of God. It is a matter of not just being sorry, but actually turning away from it.

I rejoice for the fact that I will have a chance to share my testimony at the fall convocation this semester at school. The reason is because I am quite certain that there will be men in attendance who struggle with sexual sin. Also, I won't have to look too far to find men who struggle with gluttony. My prayer is that my example can help others to turn from their sin and to the Lord. All I can do is put it out there. It is up to the Lord to make the seeds grow.

No comments: