Friday, August 14, 2009

Really Gone

Jeremiah 50:39-40
(39) "Therefore wild beasts shall dwell with hyenas in Babylon, and ostriches shall dwell in her. She shall never again have people, nor be inhabited for all generations.
(40) As when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah and their neighboring cities, declares the LORD, so no man shall dwell there, and no son of man shall sojourn in her.


Ever seen Babylon on a map? I understand that it is in present-day Iraq. I also have heard that Saddam Hussein intended to rebuild it. That makes a lot of sense for someone who saw himself in the light he did.

However, it never happened. He was overthrown and democracy now more or less rules in Iraq. I am not trying to say that the United States was necessarily acting out of the interest of serving God's will, but it does seem like we were used to keep this prophecy valid. I don't want to make too much of the war in Iraq. I do know that there are a lot of people happy to have seen Saddam fall though.

My point is that God will fulfill His purposes. He will use means to accomplish them. I think that there are plenty of times when the means don't even realize how they are being used. The US invasion of Iraq is probably one of them. The Babylonian attack on Judah was certainly another.

God is bigger than we are. He sees how it all works out. No matter how hard we try we cannot foil His plans. I find that life is just better if we are working with Him rather than against Him.

No comments: