Sunday, March 28, 2010

Speaking with Power

Acts 6:10 But they could not withstand the wisdom and the Spirit with which he was speaking.

10 καὶ οὐκ ἴσχυον ἀντιστῆναι τῇ σοφίᾳ καὶ τῷ πνεύματι ᾧ ἐλάλει.

This is at the end of a description of Stephen's preaching ministry.  He was upsetting a lot of folks because of his evangelism.  After all, no one likes to be told that their way of doing things is wrong.  Imagine how this is magnified if you are sure that your practices go all the way back to Moses.

This verse really convicts me.  Stephen simply spoke the truth.  He wasn't worried about being seeker-sensitive. He wasn't worried about damaging anyone's sensitivities.  He simply spoke the truth.  Since it is The Truth, it was impossible to withstand it.  The word ἀντιστῆναι is an aorist active infinitive.  It is a compound word from ἀντι which means "against" and  ιστημι which means "to stand."  So very woodenly this would be "But they were unable to stand against the wisdom and the Spirit with which he was speaking.

I wonder if I really believe that in my interactions with people.  I don't act like it sometimes.  I used to be quite bold in sharing my faith.  In fact, perhaps I was too bold.  I could be a real jerk for Jesus sometimes.  More and more I realize that I need to be bold, but not mean.  However, I also understand that the gospel is bad news before it is good news.  If it doesn't offend then I am not sharing it.

How are you?  Are you offended by us crazy Christians?  Are you a meek Christian who wishes that he could speak more boldly?  Or are you already bold for the faith and seeing fruit from this boldness?

No comments: