Monday, June 07, 2010

The Most Powerful Ally

 Romans 8:31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?

31 Τί οὖν ἐροῦμεν πρὸς ταῦτα; εἰ ὁ θεὸς ὑπὲρ ἡμῶν, τίς καθ᾽ ἡμῶν;

I had a great time reflecting on this verse this morning.  There are times to get into the deep issues brought up by the preceding verses.  I was floored the first time I heard about the ordo salutis.  I completely buy into it. However, that did not feed my soul this morning.  What fed my soul was contemplating this verse.  God is for me.  Who can be against me?

Do you think much about this?  Do you think about it as you battle against temptation and sin?  Do you think about it as you wonder how you're going to get through the day?  Life certainly can be overwhelming.  But God is ὑπὲρ ἡμῶν.  The word ὑπὲρ quite literally tells us that God is acting on our behalf.  How can we doubt that everything is ultimately for our good?

Of course, this does not mean that things will always work out how we think they should.  Far from it.  But God is for us.  Who can hurt us when we have God on our side?  I can't think of anyone who is more powerful than God, can you?  Those of us who know and follow Christ can make this claim.  How about you?

No comments: