Sunday, June 20, 2010

Walk the Walk

1 Corinthians 4:20 For the kingdom of God does not consist in talk but in power.

20 οὐ γὰρ ἐν λόγῳ ἡ βασιλεία τοῦ θεοῦ ἀλλ᾽ ἐν δυνάμει.

This is one of those verses that I find it easy to read past.  However, I think that it is something that we would do well to pay attention to.  It's very easy to talk the talk of the Christian.  In fact, there is a whole industry dedicated to this.  We can go to Lifeway and buy all kinds of trinkets to help remind us of the language.  We can see what we are supposed to do and how we are to sound.  Plus, we have syndicated Christian radio to remind us of the lingo.

But that's not what it is all about.  The kingdom of God is about action.  It's about how we live, not just what we say.  It is important to have a confession of faith.  In fact, that's the beginning.  But that is just the beginning.  What do we do after that?  Do we walk authentically or do we just talk about it?

I am great at talking about golf, for example.  I know how a swing should look.  I know the lingo.  I know the right way to approach various shots.  There is just one problem -- I'm not very good at it.  Sadly, I'm afraid that many professing Christians are the same way about the faith.  Let's walk in power, amen?

No comments: