Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Imitating the Father

Ephesians 5:1 Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children.

1 Γίνεσθε οὖν μιμηταὶ τοῦ θεοῦ ὡς τέκνα ἀγαπητὰ

As I started to look through this chapter to pick something to write about I realized that this verse pretty much says it all.  We are to be μιμηταὶ τοῦ θεοῦ.  I'm pretty sure that the word μιμητης is where we get our word "mimic" from.  We are to mimic God because we are His beloved children.

This has far-reaching implications, doesn't it?  As children of God we see Christ as an example for us.  He is certainly more than an example as He was the perfect lamb that was slain for our sins, but He is also an example of how we are to behave.  He is certainly not less than an example.  Christ's life shows us how to live ours.

This also has implications for me as a father.  My son is naturally going to imitate me.  I can see where he already does.  What kind of an example am I setting for him?  The old phrase, "Do as I say, not as I do" is absurd.  It didn't work for me as a child and I don't think it works for any other child.  It's just an excuse to tell our children that grownups can be hypocrites.  I certainly do not want to communicate that to them.

Read the rest of the chapter and you will see how this plays out.  Paul gives several tangible examples.  And note how he ties this back to the end of chapter 4 as well.  That also gives us some examples.  If you are in Christ you see the expectations of you.  This does not merit our salvation, but is the natural result of it.

How does this verse hit you?

No comments: