Tuesday, July 06, 2010

True Freedom

2 Corinthians 3:17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.


17 ὁ δὲ κύριος τὸ πνεῦμά ἐστιν· οὗ δὲ τὸ πνεῦμα κυρίου, ἐλευθερία.

I admit that I didn't get a lot out of this chapter when I read it in Greek.  But as I review it in English I see the blessed promise of this verse.  Paul has been speaking to how the Law brings death.  In contrast, we as Christians have the Spirit.  The promise οὗ δὲ τὸ πνεῦμα κυρίου, ἐλευθερία is incredible.  More woodenly it is, "and where the Spirit of the Lord is, freedom."  Incredible!

Think about this for a few minutes.  Are you in Christ?  If so, you are freed from the requirements of the Law.  I was going to write about freedom from habitual sin, but I don't think that this is what this verse is about.  It is about freedom from the Law.  It is almost impossible for us 21st century Gentiles to get our minds around this.

A first-century reader would think, "You mean I don't have to observe the feast days?  I don't have to wait for Yom Kippur for my sins to be atoned for?"  and other such thoughts.  This is so completely contrary to the system that they knew.

This freedom comes by grace.  There is nothing we can do to add to it.  We cannot merit grace or it would cease to be grace.  We are free in Christ.  I hope that you embrace this promise with me.

No comments: