Sunday, June 03, 2007

Being a Clevelander (II)

Last night the unthinkable happened. The Cavaliers won their fourth straight game against the Detroit Pistons to advance to the Eastern Conference Finals. I will not pretend to be a big basketball fan, but I've been close enough to my mom and stepfather to get a sense of the excitement. The city has been abuzz with excitement. Couple that with the fact that the Indians went into today's game 3.5 games up on the Tigers (it looks like they'll finish 2.5 up) and you've got some pretty exciting times in old C-Town. I was happy to hear that the town didn't riot (though they might if the Cavs win the finals). That was truly an answer to prayer.

I understand that there is a blog out there called "God hates Cleveland sports". Given the history in the past 40+ years, it would certainly seem so. I don't think that it makes sense to pray for the results of a sporting event. However, I do think that God is in charge of everything. I wonder if the long championship droughts in cities like Cleveland and Buffalo have to do with breaking the cities' idolatrous relationship with their teams?

This occurred to me one day as I was stepping out of the shower. I wouldn't try to argue this with Wayne Grudem or even with my wife. It's just something I'm rolling around in my head.

No comments: