Thursday, February 16, 2006

Fat, Dumb, and Happy in Cary

My first instinct is to complain further about my comfort. But as I think about it I see how absurd that is. I think it dishonors God not to be thankful for how He blesses my family. Here we are in one of the top-rated communities in the country and I want to complain? Again, this is absurd!

My complaint is that I don't want to turn into King David. He fell hard when he became most complacent. I can see that happening. And what I also see is that my complacency breeds laziness. I'm pretty comfortable with my lot in life. Sure, my job doesn't do a lot for me, but it does pay the bills. My marriage is sound. My daughter is a daily challenge, but she certainly blesses us. I enjoy my role in my ministry.

But I still crave more somehow. And I think it's time that I eat my own dog food, so to speak. It's easy for me to tell students that they will find all their satisfaction at the cross. But am I finding mine there? Sure, I don't necessarily have habitual sin in my life anymore, but I know that I could spend more time sitting at the feet of Jesus.

I'm slowly learning that I'm better at doing than being. I think I need to work more on just abiding in Christ.

No comments: