Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Going Faster

We've hit the nice time of the year for weather in Raleigh. It was around 60 degrees this morning as I went out to run, which is almost ideal. I prefer it in the low 50s, but after the oppressive heat and humidity of July and August I'm glad for what I can get.

I did my normal greenway run today, which normally takes me about 27:30 if I go at a comfortable pace. I call the run 3.3 miles, so this puts me around 8:20/mile. I'm happy with that pace as a rule, but it's always fun to run faster. Ever since New Jersey I've been going faster and faster on my normal runs. I think that my speed work on the boardwalk helped.

Today I finally broke the 8 minute mile barrier. I realize that I'm not going to represent the US in the Olympics or anything, but it felt good to break this barrier after 3 years of running. Will I ever break 7 minutes? Not sure. I just know that I'm happy for what's happening right now as it's very encouraging. What's particularly encouraging is that I didn't feel like I was pushing to my limit.

Greek went well last night. My head is spinning less. Now I just need to spend the time learning my vocabulary and the articles. I think this will not be such a tough language once I know the "codes". I did some research and found a Greek New Testament that I might ask for my birthday or Christmas. If nothing else it would be cool to have it to read. I just don't want it to be something I use to show off...

No comments: