Friday, February 16, 2007

A Word of Encouragement and Warning

I just read this:

Jeremiah 9:23-24 ESV
(23) Thus says the LORD: "Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches,
(24) but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the LORD."


I'm grateful to have been gifted with some abilities. It's easy sometimes to focus on what I can't do. For example, I love watching sports, but I've had to admit that I just can't play them very well. But I would do much better to think on what God has blessed me with. I have a good memory and a fairly sharp mind. I have an incredible wife and daughter and we have another child on the way. I have a great job that pays well and, despite some complaints, is in pretty good conditions. I don't have to worry about being maimed or killed while on the job if I'm careless, but the paper cuts can be nasty!

I like this passage because it is so God-centered. Anything I can boast about comes from Him. I need this reminder to keep me in my place.

No comments: