Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Squeezing the Turnip

Today started off innocently enough in SCF-land. In fact, I was greatly encouraged by a mentor emailing the discussion group asking for help in rotation. It seems that she was starting to feel overwhelmed. She actually quoted my previous messages where I told mentors that the answer to going off of the mentor rotation is not to get off, but to get more on. That is what she was doing.

Rotation is like being in a line to receive new students. Once you get one you go to the back of the line until everyone else in the line gets one. And so on. If few people are in line then you get a lot of students. If the line is long and enrollments are steady then you don't get so many. It's simple math, but it is a step out in faith because if your fellow mentors get out of the line then you will end up with a lot of students.

I sent several messages to the group exhorting the mentors to get on rotation and stay on for as long as possible. Some mentors felt like I was trying to guilt them into going on rotation. Some also thought that perhaps I was being insensitive to all the things that they have going on. I challenge anyone to show me that they are much more busy than I am. Some may be, but I suspect it is not very many. I write this not to brag, but to make the point that I'm only trying to lead where I've already gone.

At any rate, this process has given me some insight as to what it must be like when a pastor needs to preach on giving so that the church can make ends meet. If everyone at my church gave $100/month we would have very few budget shortfalls. And, in fact, we could do so much more.

How we spend our time really shows where our hearts are. I say that a person's bank statement and day-planner show what is important to that person. I like to think that mine are in line with my values, but there is always room for improvement.

No comments: