Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Leaping for Joy

We had our first real Greek class in almost a month last night. Last week we were off for spring break and the week before that our professor was getting over some sickness to which he did not want to expose the class. Some of us still gathered, but we could hardly call it a real class.

I've been sort of dreading this final. I've done OK on my homework, but that was only by leaning quite heavily on our textbook. Our professor had told us that the final would be closed-book. My head has been spinning thinking about all that I had to learn. First, there is the stuff that I learned for the midterm that I would have to review. I'd have to review all the indicative verb stuff plus all the stuff about participles. Then there is all the stuff after the midterm with all the non-indicative mood stuff for verbs. That too was kind of overwhelming because of all the endings I'd have to learn. Add to that all the vocabulary review plus finishing up our translation of 1 John and I was feeling underwater. Oh, and I have a paper to revise that is due on Sunday as well.

But last night he announced that the final would be open-book. He decided that it was too much work to give us verses to translate and also have to worry about what vocabulary we knew. It was easier just to let us use the lexicon in the back of the book. I'm not sure what moved him to this, but I'm glad for it. Perhaps this is an answered prayer from the class :)

Whatever it is, I'm glad for it and it takes a huge load off my mind. I still know that I have much preparation to do. We're responsible for knowing 19 chapters of vocabulary (though toward the end we didn't have many new words) and we will be tested on the vocabulary before we can open our books. But I'm still glad that I can use my book to do all the parsing.

Now the only reason not to do well is a total lack of understanding or laziness.

No comments: