Wednesday, June 06, 2007

God's Heart for People

GOD’S HEART FOR PEOPLE
I was very much struck by the line in Missiology referring to the book of Jonah as the most missional book in the Bible, but one that shows just how much of an inclusivist Jonah was. As we discussed in class, the Jews saw the Messiah as someone who would end their worldly oppression and put them in charge in this world. They would have seen Ephesians 3:6 as unthinkable because they could not conceive of how Gentiles could be included in God’s redemptive plan. Plus, they likely did not want Gentiles to be included in the plan. Nevertheless, God made them (us) part of His plan.

Before yesterday’s discussion I had never thought about the implications of Egyptians coming along in the Exodus. I suspect that this would have surprised many of the former slaves on their way to the Promised Land. Although we do not know for sure, I would be surprised if the Hebrews did much evangelizing to their Egyptian taskmasters. They probably just wanted to keep their heads down and mouths shut so they could get through each day without being beaten. Despite this, some Egyptians saw the power and glory of the Lord and decided to leave everything to worship Him.

I also think of John 4 and Jesus’ conversation with the Samaritan woman. Jews did not speak to the hated Samaritans, but Jesus extended grace to her and offered her a way out of her sinful lifestyle. He crossed the cultural boundaries to share the gospel with her.
I look at my life and see some definite parallels with the Jews. I interact with some people that I just do not like very well. I do not think that is inherently sinful since we will inevitably get along with some people better than others. However, I do know that it is a problem if I do not share the gospel with them. I find it easy to want my friends to enjoy eternal life, but what about the people I do not like? What about my enemies? For example, before Sadaam Hussein was hanged I am not sure if I thought about whether or not someone had a chance to share the gospel with him. I think I was mostly interested in the death of a world despot rather than feeling sadness about an unbeliever dying apart from the love of Christ.

I find it pretty easy to look down my nose at Jonah’s disobedience about going to the hated city of Nineveh. However, I do not think that I am much better. I need to find ways to share Christ with the people I do not like just as much as my friends and family. And, frankly, I do not want to take my disobedience to Jonah’s level. I know that God does not physically use big fish much these days, but I also know that He finds ways to make sure that His plan is executed. Obedience is just easier.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You've raised an important point, and one that I am left to ponder to make sure my heart is right. I am called to preach the gospel to all the world, not just those I "like".