Thursday, September 27, 2007

Distractions

I find it amazing how much real work I get done when I need to study for a test. I have my first Old Testament test tonight. I think it will be OK as the professor has been pretty generous in grading so far. We have had a total of three quizzes. I got a 105 on the first because I got the bonus question right. As I took the second I felt terrible because I wasn't prepared for what he asked. In fact, since I know the professor a little bit I felt embarrassed to turn the quiz in. I felt like it was going to be a slap in his face that I didn't prepare for his class. I got a 100 on that one.

Given that, I think I know what I need to know. Here are some interesting points to consider about the Pentateuch and about Genesis and Exodus:

Why did Moses put Gen 1-11 in the book?
  1. He wanted to show that the God of the covenant is the creator God
  2. He wanted to show what rest looks like
  3. He wanted to introduce the idea of a promised land
  4. He wanted to introduce the idea of a nation that would come through Eve's seed
  5. He wanted to introduce the idea of the blessing that will come through God's covenant
  6. He wanted to show what walking by faith looks like
Have you ever considered that the Pentateuch is often called the "book of the Law" but is really more of a book of guidelines? Law is part of it, but it is mostly narrative with some poetry. The Law part really goes from Sinai (around the middle of Ex 15) until Num 10. Num 10 - Deu 34 is really about leaving Sinai and taking the land.

We had some fascinating stuff on the eschatological implications of the Pentateuch. Sometime check out Gen 49, Num 24, and Deu 31. Note what is going to happen "in the last days". Lots of stuff about Jesus!

Those are some highlights of my studying. I hope that I can remember some of this past the test, but I'm not counting on it. To me, the important thing is to remember having studied something and knowing where to look to learn more about it.

No comments: