Thursday, April 10, 2008

Ephesians 2 Update

As you may recall, I'm doing Ephesians 2 for my exegetical study in Greek class. It's always interesting to start getting into a passage in depth because you don't know what you will find. Will my presuppositions hold up?

I haven't written my syntactical analysis or my sermon outline, but I can tell you that the passage means what it appears to mean. The concept of being "dead" in our sins means that we were spiritually dead. The idea of God "making us alive" with Christ means that God does the work. In other words, salvation is an act of grace, not a smart decision on our parts. Verse 9 speaks to that as well.

This study has reaffirmed my belief in the Doctrines of Grace. God is in charge. We still need to respond, but God gets it all rolling. Verse 10 also reminds us that we are to persevere in our faith as well.

No comments: