Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Missionary Man

I love the idea of being a missionary. How cool would it be to bring the gospel to those who haven't heard? Plus there would be such an element of adventure to it. I try to imagine picking up stakes and moving to some place like Italy. Last night I spoke to our friend Shanelle who is serving the Kiwis in Christchurch, New Zealand. She also has helped to establish some small groups in the Philippines and a church may be forming. She is doing great work and it is an honor to be able to support her. I would love to have stories like that.


The problem is the support. The thought of raising it just paralyzes me. I'm not afraid of moving away from all that I know. I'm not afraid of learning a new language. I'm not afraid of learning another culture. However, the idea of raising funds just seems impossible.


When Paul gives his list of offices in Ephesians 4:11 I don't see "fundraiser" listed, though of course some pastors become that. Why must someone with a missionary heart go through the pain of raising funds? Is the church dropping the ball or am I just being a wimp?


I've heard it said that you're either going, sending, or sinning. I'm glad that we can send right now. I'd like to go someday.


Or maybe I should worry about being a missionary here at the bank...

No comments: