Sunday, September 28, 2008

Prayers for the Nation

I pray often for the nation as the election approaches. My prayer is that we would make a godly choice for our leaders. The thing I realized this morning is that I'm implicitly saying, "God, I know that I am doing this right and I pray that the rest of the country would come around."

Frankly, I'm not sure that there is a truly godly choice in this presidential election. I know that I could not vote for Obama based on his views on abortion. I don't think that increasing governmental dependence is the way to fix poverty either. However, it's not as if McCain is a shining light in the darkness either.

My prayer is now that we would make the right choice, starting with me. I find that a lot of my prayers are trying to manipulate God to make others like me. Sometimes that may be appropriate, but I don't think the spirit of it is.

No comments: