Friday, September 05, 2008

Waiting in Silence

Psalms 62:1-2 ESV
(1) To the choirmaster: according to Jeduthun. A Psalm of David. For God alone my soul waits in silence; from him comes my salvation.
(2) He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be greatly shaken.


Verse 1 really hit home with me this morning. First of all, what does my soul really wait for? Is it the latest shipment of books from Amazon? Something I've bought off of eBay? Is it the next vacation? Date night with Amanda? Just getting through another work week? I think it's great to have little things in life that get us excited, but ultimately are we waiting on God?

How is my soul waiting? Is it in silence? Or am I too busy reading blogs, writing a blog, reading stuff, talking to people, playing music, singing, listening to podcasts, etc? I think all of those things are good. However, how often am I waiting in silence for God alone?

I think about how everything else leaves me thirsty for more. I listen to a good sermon on a podcast, but I want more. I get something fun in the mail, but it doesn't ultimately satisfy. God needs to be my rock and my salvation. And, thanks to Jesus, He can be.

No comments: