Thursday, August 03, 2006

Graduate Pedantics

This whole graduate school business is kind of interesting. I very much enjoy my professor. He clearly has a heart of equipping us to reach out to the lost. It's vitally important that we be ready to have a reason for the hope that we have within us.

The class, however, is also very interesting. There is a guy in there that is what I think I could easily become. We had a discussion Tuesday night about the noetic effects of sin. In other words, just how much does sin affect the unbeliever? Almost rhetorically the professor asked if an unbeliever can do something "good". This guy actually argued about that. In his mind, nothing can be good unless it is done for the purpose of glorifying God. Therefore, to him, only believers can do something good.

I understand where he's coming from, but I think he's being pedantic. We asked about Mother Teresa. He said that he read some stuff that makes him think that she was saved and, therefore, capable of doing something good. While we were on the subject of India I asked about Ghandi. He told us that Ghandi did nothing good. After class I asked him about our nation's constitution. Is there anything good about that?

It's so easy to get on a roll like that. I think I've done it before and I'll likely do it again. I just know that I don't want to be "that guy" that you have in graduate school who takes the discussion off into his own personal tangents. The good news is that we're all supposed to be Christ-followers and therefore capable of extending grace. I know that I need to do that.

No comments: