Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Plodding Along

One thing I considered this morning is that fasting makes the days go by slower. However, this is a good thing because my classes start on August 22, which will be my first day of solid food if all goes according to plan. I really should be savoring these days. I need to keep reminding myself that I need to get the focus off of me and my discomfort and on to the cross.

In this week's teaching Mike Cleveland asked us to share a verse that encouraged us. Here is what I wrote. I hope that it is at least somewhat encouraging for you.

1Sa 22:1-2 ESV
(1) David departed from there and escaped to the cave of Adullam. And when his brothers and all his father's house heard it, they went down there to him.
(2) And everyone who was in distress, and everyone who was in debt, and everyone who was bitter in soul, gathered to him. And he became captain over them. And there were with him about four hundred men.


This refers to the people going to David when he was fleeing from Saul. However, as I read verse 2 I am reminded of:

Mat 11:28-30 ESV
(28) Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
(29) Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
(30) For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."


I love it when I get a fresh glimpse of Christ while reading the Old Testament! Certainly this is not a perfect picture, but I do see it as a "shadow". Notice what happened to those who went to David. They came to him in various forms of distress, but he became captain over them and joined him. That certainly reminds me of coming to Christ in the distress of my sin and having the honor of Christ becoming my "captain".

No comments: