Thursday, June 19, 2008

Divine Sovereignty

Just how sovereign is God? Does He really have anything to do with our day-to-day life? Does He ordain the problem we have with finding a parking space? Or does He help us to find just the right space when we need it? Is He responsible for the person who offers us an encouraging word in season? Is He also responsible for the person who tears us down?

These are the kinds of things we were discussing Tuesday morning in small group. We're going through the Jerry Bridges book Respectable Sins and had a very lively discussion. I don't claim to know the answer to all of this because Scripture does seem to contain a tension between our responsibility and God's sovereignty. However, I do want to make sure that any opinion I do form is based on Scripture.

Based on what I read, I do think that God is guiding the events in my life. That means that somehow He is guiding the people in my life too. That also must mean that He is somehow guiding me as I interact with others.

Does that put God in heaven tickling marionette strings? Maybe that is the logical conclusion. Perhaps my next reading through Scripture will focus on this theme. It's one that I think every believer should wrestle with.

No comments: