Thursday, June 05, 2008

Wisdom Literature

I started my Old Testament course last night. It's nice to watch the lectures in the comfort of my own home with a steaming cup of decaf at my side. However, it's also easy to get distracted by wht is going on in the Indians game. I can do that in class with my Blackberry too, but it's even easier when I can put the DVD in a window and watch both simultaneously. This is especially nice when someone asks a question that I don't find very interesting.

I learned two main things from this lecture. The first is that the Torah of Yahweh is where we find wisdom, according to the OT. Check out how Deuteronomy 34:9 meshes with Joshua 1:8. Then note how Malachi 4:4 fits into that. Keep in mind that Malachi was not at the end of the Hebrew Bible, but was at the end of the second section. Psalm 1:1-3 would immediately follow it. It is clear that one is made wise through thoughtful meditation on Torah. My professor made this point about Ezra. Once they found the scroll they read it. They didn't seek further revelation. They realized that was what they needed.

The other is the importance of creation theology. As you read Psalms note how often God as creator is mentioned. The fact that He created everything is what gives Him the authority to define wisdom. He is by definition wise. It also puts Romans 9:21 into perspective.

(note: I love having the Scripture links!)

No comments: