Friday, June 13, 2008

Sovereignty in Kings

I'm in 1Kings for my OT reading lately. I admit to struggling a bit with 1Kings 13:18:22. Take the time to read all of 1Kings 13 and I think you'll see what I mean.

What is the deal here? First, the prophet lies to the other prophet. Then God uses this lying prophet to pronounce judgment on the first prophet. This is a judgment that quickly finds its fulfillment as well.

What this tells me is that God can use people independent of their character. By that I mean that He could still use this man who led the first prophet astray. If you want to be a hard determinist about it, you could even suggest that God intended judgment for the prophet in the first place, which is why He used the lying prophet. However, the text doesn't necessarily say that so we won't go there.

At any rate, it's something that I am wrestling with. What does this tell me about God? It kind of makes Him look rather capricious.

No comments: