Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Hosea

I'm not going to post any specific passage, but I would commend this book to you when you get a chance. The book is all about Israel's spiritual adultery with the Lord. It's easy to read it and think that we are above that, but I think that it is as much for me as it was for Israel when it was written.

First, there is the obvious fact that every time I look at a woman with lust I am committing a form of adultery. That's a tough teaching, but Jesus made it pretty clear.

Second, there are the more subtle ways that I commit adultery toward the Lord every day. How often am I living just for myself and not for Him? Am I glorifying His name when I steal time from my employer to do my own thing? Am I always a good witness for Him? Do I treat my family the way He commands me? And so on.

The good news is that in Christ we can return from our lives of spiritual adultery back into the covenant relationship He intends for us. Are you running back to Him or are you whoring after your idols? You can't do both.

No comments: