Saturday, December 20, 2008

Putting Down Roots

Mark 4:3-9
(3) "Listen! A sower went out to sow.
(4) And as he sowed, some seed fell along the path, and the birds came and devoured it.
(5) Other seed fell on rocky ground, where it did not have much soil, and immediately it sprang up, since it had no depth of soil.
(6) And when the sun rose it was scorched, and since it had no root, it withered away.
(7) Other seed fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked it, and it yielded no grain.
(8) And other seeds fell into good soil and produced grain, growing up and increasing and yielding thirtyfold and sixtyfold and a hundredfold."
(9) And he said, "He who has ears to hear, let him hear."

I just read a chapter on this parable in the textbook for my upcoming parables class. I won't go into everything that the author wrote, but I love the last two sentences:
People think they can look like giant oaks without putting down deep roots. When they realize how much effort it takes to put down deep roots, they too often settle for being bramble bushes. (Snodgrass, Stories With Intent, 176.)


That, to me, summarizes the problem with the attraction-based model of church growth. It's great to get people in the door, but you end up with a lot of false professions of faith based on emotion alone. Or, just as bad are the professions of faith based on the plan to avoid hell. No, the kingdom of God is about having deep roots.

I like to think that my life is lived in such a way that I am putting down deep roots. However, it is easy to see the selfishness in my own heart that I must fight daily. It is easy to see the laziness that prevails all too often. This chapter was a good reminder of how badly I need to work to keep putting down those roots.

5 comments:

Michael said...

Hi Jason, I'd be interested in finding out which books you'd recommend on Jesus' parables.

Jason said...

I'm afraid that this is the first book I've read on the parables, but I can't imagine what other resource you'd need. The title is Stories with Intent by Klyne R. Snodgrass.

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I didn't realize anyone else was out there. Comments are always appreciated.

Michael said...

I had no idea about this book was a 2008 publication. I'm not sure how it got pass me. I've been on the lookout recently for books or articles focusing on the parables of Jesus.

lol on your last comment though. I think in the area of interest of Bible study, you attract much more readers than your comments would indicate. They seem to be a shy bunch. Idk, just conjecture.

Good to meet you.

Jason said...

Well, if I have more than the 5 or so readers I know about (mostly close friends) then I have a lot more than I think I do. I'm glad to read that some people think these daily musings are worth reading. It's actually kind of a selfish thing in a way as I use this blog to journal a little bit on what I read each day.

Until today you were a perfect stranger and you're a reader, so that's something. I don't have any delusions of being the next Dan Johnson or Tim Challies, but I'm glad that I'm not just talking to the wind.

Jason said...

er...Make that Dan Philips, the TeamPyro guy.