Monday, February 16, 2009

The God I Worship

Psalms 93:1-5
(1) The LORD reigns; he is robed in majesty; the LORD is robed; he has put on strength as his belt. Yes, the world is established; it shall never be moved.
(2) Your throne is established from of old; you are from everlasting.
(3) The floods have lifted up, O LORD, the floods have lifted up their voice; the floods lift up their roaring.
(4) Mightier than the thunders of many waters, mightier than the waves of the sea, the LORD on high is mighty!
(5) Your decrees are very trustworthy; holiness befits your house, O LORD, forevermore.


I love the short Psalms. I love how succinctly this one paints a picture of God's greatness and glory. Verse 4 takes me back to my last trip to the ocean. I remember how angry the sea looked before, during, and after a storm. Yet God is greater than all of that.

And if we ever start to lose faith in God's Word we have verse 5. I realize that the argument is a bit circular, but this verse reminds me of the great value of it. I think this old hymn puts it best:

How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord,
Is laid for your faith in His excellent word!
What more can He say than to you He hath said—
To you who for refuge to Jesus have fled?


What more can He say? Obviously this is rhetorical. His excellent Word is plenty.

No comments: