Friday, February 27, 2009

David's Jack Bauer

2 Samuel 18:10-16
(10) And a certain man saw it and told Joab, "Behold, I saw Absalom hanging in an oak."
(11) Joab said to the man who told him, "What, you saw him! Why then did you not strike him there to the ground? I would have been glad to give you ten pieces of silver and a belt."
(12) But the man said to Joab, "Even if I felt in my hand the weight of a thousand pieces of silver, I would not reach out my hand against the king's son, for in our hearing the king commanded you and Abishai and Ittai, 'For my sake protect the young man Absalom.'
(13) On the other hand, if I had dealt treacherously against his life (and there is nothing hidden from the king), then you yourself would have stood aloof."
(14) Joab said, "I will not waste time like this with you." And he took three javelins in his hand and thrust them into the heart of Absalom while he was still alive in the oak.
(15) And ten young men, Joab's armor-bearers, surrounded Absalom and struck him and killed him.
(16) Then Joab blew the trumpet, and the troops came back from pursuing Israel, for Joab restrained them.


I only watched one season of 24, but that was enough to understand how Jack Bauer works. Jack Bauer only asks a question politely once. The second time is often accompanied with a .50 cal slug in your thigh. He doesn't have time for niceties. He is all business and the mission governs all that he does.

Joab seems to have some of that. He frequently ignored the command of the king because he knew what was really necessary. In fact, as David mourns Absalom later Joab rebukes him:

2 Samuel 19:5-7
(5) Then Joab came into the house to the king and said, "You have today covered with shame the faces of all your servants, who have this day saved your life and the lives of your sons and your daughters and the lives of your wives and your concubines,
(6) because you love those who hate you and hate those who love you. For you have made it clear today that commanders and servants are nothing to you, for today I know that if Absalom were alive and all of us were dead today, then you would be pleased.
(7) Now therefore arise, go out and speak kindly to your servants, for I swear by the LORD, if you do not go, not a man will stay with you this night, and this will be worse for you than all the evil that has come upon you from your youth until now."


The thing I've noticed throughout the narrative is that Joab often has a good point. What I wonder is the value of having a Joab in an organization. I work at a bank and we have to play by the rules. We have internal reasons for this as well as laws that dictate how we operate. Yet sometimes we need a Joab to break through all of the red tape and just get stuff done.

Where do you fall on this? I am not a Joab by nature, but I can be when it is necessary. Personally, I like to play by the rules. I think this is also why I am not cut out to be a church planter.

No comments: