Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Word for the Nations

Psalms 96:7-10
(7) Ascribe to the LORD, O families of the peoples, ascribe to the LORD glory and strength!
(8) Ascribe to the LORD the glory due his name; bring an offering, and come into his courts!
(9) Worship the LORD in the splendor of holiness; tremble before him, all the earth!
(10) Say among the nations, "The LORD reigns! Yes, the world is established; it shall never be moved; he will judge the peoples with equity."


As a believer who is pained by this fallen world, this Psalm brings me great hope. Everyone is commanded to give glory to the Lord. Everyone is commanded to tremble before Him. Our message to the world is that the Lord made the earth and He alone deserves our worship. The end of verse 10 also gives me hope to resolve the problem of evil.

What I'm afraid of is that the same promise gives people false hope. It is easy to read that "He will judge the peoples with equity" and think that applies to someone else. However, if you are not clothed in Christ's righteousness I guarantee that you do not want to be judged by the Lord. You are not in right standing with Him and you will be found wanting if He does judge with equity. The only solution for this is the cross of Christ. That is where His perfect justice was satisfied against the judgment we all deserve.

2 comments:

rick said...

"He will judge the peoples with equity" has a very broad coverage. Certainly God is just and he will judge with true justice as a Holy God and without Christ we stand condemned. But this reminds me of what Peter said in 1 Peter 4:17 - For the time has come for judgement, and it must begin first among God's own children. And if even we Christians must be judged, what terrible fate awaits those who have never believed in God's Good News?" How we live for Jesus bears consequence just as whether or not we accept Jesus as Savior. Do I want to get to heaven to stand before the Lord and be ashamed for how little I did for him after he suffered and died for me? I should hope I can proudly say "thank you" and lay crowns at his feet.

Jason said...

I completely agree.