Saturday, August 16, 2008

How Much Reverence?

Luke 5:8 ESV
(8) But when Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, "Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord."


This happened after the miraculous catch of fish. They had been fishing all night with no results. Jesus told them to cast the net on the other side and then they had so much that the boat started to sink. Peter realized he was in the presence of deity and this was his reaction.

This to me is the heart of our response to the gospel. Do we think that we are basically OK? Do we think that God is lucky to have us on His team? Or do we realize the depth of our own sinfulness and our complete inability to come to the Lord apart from His grace?

I know that I am often too familiar with God. Of course, He is now our Abba (daddy), so we do not need to fear Him like this. However, do we have the proper reverence?

No comments: