Thursday, November 02, 2006

The Slacking-Driven Life

I've come to realize that slacking is a fundamental problem for me when working from home. If I have specific things to accomplish I can stay pretty focused. But if I have something I don't really want to do and it's not particularly time-critical I have a way of just drifting off. For example, I read this great blog article about Jack Bauer and how he is a type of Christ. It's good stuff, but it has little to do with work.

The problem is that a lot of my slacking has little to do with anything. I guess that's why it's called slacking. What I realize is that if I'm going to slack I need to do it with some intent. I'm going to practice my guitar, study my Greek vocabulary, or maybe even write a few sections of my paper. But I'm not going to just drift off as much as I once did. Besides, that's usually when I start walking on the edge of looking at what I oughtn't.

No comments: