Wednesday, November 15, 2006

The Worst and Best Day

I had a brutal day on Sunday. It started with staying up late for work and waking up in the middle of the night for work. I expected the middle of the night one, but the staying up late was not part of the plan. I turned off my alarm and expected to feel a little rough in the morning as I normally do when deprived of sleep. I wasn't disappointed.

Lily and I had some toast. My stomach felt a little funny and I thought maybe that sleeping in messed up my normal routine, so I should have some peanut butter & butter toast with some coffee to get the works moving. That didn't really do a whole lot. As the morning wore on I felt worse and worse. It started becoming clear that this went beyond regular sleep deprivation. I had to do some work at around 10:30 and I nearly passed out while doing it. I couldn't hold my head up long enough to work. I did a lot of sleeping that day. I can't remember ever feeling that sick and weak before.

The problem is that Lily and I were alone for the weekend while Amanda was at a retreat for the women's ministry leaders. The reason the day was really cool is that Lily pretty much took care of herself. She could tell that I wasn't feeling well, so she spent a lot of time playing by herself in her room. She also took a nap with me. I had to fight through making her a sandwich for lunch, but she ate it on her own. She even got herself dressed, though she mixed a polka dotted top with striped pants. We watched some videos, though I mostly slept.

It was just really fun having my 3 year-old daughter take care of me. In retrospect I should have called on some family or friends to help me out, but I just didn't have the strength even to call. That sounds absurd in retrospect, but it was a bad day.

No comments: