Monday, January 29, 2007

Changing Course

I've had to do some self-reflection lately about the future of my career in ministry. When I announced my plans to get a MDiv I got a lot of support, but I also got some sideways looks. The sense I got from most people was, "I know you love Jesus and want to be in ministry, but are you sure you want to go into pastoral ministry?". The problem is people.

I am starting to feel more compassion for people. I do want to help them. But I also know that if I go into pastoral ministry I will find myself doing a lot of things that I don't like doing. For example, I would have to go out of my way each Sunday to make a conscious effort to find people I don't know and connect with them. I could do that and be OK at it, but I also think that would drain me. I can't imagine how many little meetings, potlucks, dinners, etc I'd have to go to.

The point is that I am growing to have more of a heart for people, but I don't get energized by spending all my time around people. I am much more on the "introvert" side of the Myers-Briggs test, for what that's worth. No matter how you label it, I can't deny that is true of me.

So what to do? I remember even when I was stuck in habitual sin I thought about becoming a professor. That once again seems like a good option for me. It would be cool to earn a ThD and then come back to teach at Shepherds, for example.

The "good" news is that I still have a LONG way to go before I have to make any final decisions. I think I should worry more about getting my 1 Corinthians 5:5 validation paper written first.

No comments: