Friday, January 12, 2007

Feeling Like a Student

Last Saturday had what I considered to be perfect weather. The sky was a crystal-clear Carolina blue. There were a few not quite puffy, but not quite wispy clouds. The temperature was in the mid to high 60s. It was ideal weather for sitting outside and reading, taking a walk, lying in a hammock, having a picnic, or just about anything except snow skiing. So what did I do with this glorious day? I spent it in a library working on my paragraph summary of 1 Corinthians. Not only was I in a library, but it was dark in the library because someone had to do electrical maintenance in the building. I sat at a desk by the window so I'd have enough light to do what I needed to do.

This experience made me feel more like a student than I have before. I went into this seminary experience knowing that there would be some sacrifice. I'm pretty good at making myself into a martyr, but this one was kind of tough. It just felt like a shame to be inside. The good news is that I did get to eat my lunch outside.

My class has given me new insights into what Biblical scholarship is all about. I thought that it was pretty cool to read John Piper. Now I'm learning that his stuff is not really that scholarly. He is a pastor and he writes for people, as he should. I don't doubt that he could be very scholarly, but I don't think of his stuff as such anymore. I'm learning about all of these journals where men spend years fighting with each other over the proper interpretation of some passage. I need to read this stuff so that I can do my validation papers. My professor keeps making the point that pastors need to be readers so that they know what is out there and can form the best conclusions. The bibliographies in his notes have blown me away with the amount that he's read. I am confident that he has forgotten more than I currently know. He's given me some insight into where I need to be.


This of course begs the application question -- "so what?" What am I going to do with this newfound revelation? I see the need to spend more time reading. I need to practice reading quickly and with comprehension. I need to start consuming books. I understand that Charles Spurgeon read "five serious books a week". I don't know if I'll do that, but one every other week should be doable if I can increase my speed. Whatever I do, I need to do more than what I am doing if I am to be well-read and well-rounded as a pastor.

But I am reminded of one very important truth -- "No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care." At the end of the day I need to love people. But I also need to be able to give them sound answers for the tough questions.

No comments: