Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Finished!

I finally did it. I finished the massive 775 page tome that we are to read on 1 Corinthians. Now, to be honest, I don't think that I read every word carefully. But I think I have a general idea of what the author had to say about each topic. I couldn't recite it all, but it will be somewhat familiar to me when I hear it in class, I think.

I think I'm starting to get the hang of the reading we need to do for seminary. In the past I read too carefully and sub-vocalized every letter. This is obviously not going to work when a professor asks us to read 1500 pages for a class. Perhaps this way I also will be able to glean more out of the books and articles I use for my papers. I have a classmate who said that he read all the books that he used for his paper. I don't think it's realistic to do that in much detail, but I can see how "power skimming" can be used to great effect when I have to get through a lot of information in a hurry.

I need to keep this up so that I don't lose the knack of doing it. I really got better at it on Saturday and I keep getting faster and faster as the days go by. It feels like I'm working out my "reading muscle".

I realize that this is probably old news for any liberal arts majors out there. But for an engineer like me it's something of an epiphany. I just had to share my joy at finishing.

No comments: