Friday, September 04, 2009

Grace in Action

Ezekiel 17:24
(24) And all the trees of the field shall know that I am the LORD; I bring low the high tree, and make high the low tree, dry up the green tree, and make the dry tree flourish. I am the LORD; I have spoken, and I will do it."


This ends a passage with a lot of imagery involving an eagle and a vine. It has descriptions of transplanting and then explains how this relates to the Babylonian captivity. Basically, this is another reminder of what the people had to endure as a result of breaking their covenant with God.

When I read this verse I am immediately thrust into the New Testament. I remember when I thought myself quite smart. God brought me low. But it was in that state that He could start putting my life back together again. I had to be broken before I could flourish.

I realize that I am hardly perfect. I'm not looking forward to the pruning that I must someday endure. I don't know what it is or when it will come, but I do know that the Vinedresser will do that work on me. Overall, I know that it is for my good. I also know that God promises to do it. Fighting it makes no sense. He is God and He will do it.

No comments: