Thursday, September 17, 2009

Small Consolation

Ezekiel 32:31-32
(31) "When Pharaoh sees them, he will be comforted for all his multitude, Pharaoh and all his army, slain by the sword, declares the Lord GOD.
(32) For I spread terror in the land of the living; and he shall be laid to rest among the uncircumcised, with those who are slain by the sword, Pharaoh and all his multitude, declares the Lord GOD."

This is the last bit of a long passage of condemnation against Egypt. Just before this we saw how several other nations would end up in the same boat as Egypt. Apparently, this would comfort Pharaoh.

This reminds me of how much I love company when I am miserable. I think that there is something inside of us that always wants to compare. I'm currently listening to a series of messages about the parable of the two sons. I think we all have a little bit of the older brother in us. We prefer it when we are doing the right things and we can look down on someone else. We don't seem to have a natural predisposition toward grace.

Yet Paul gives us a different command:

Romans 12:15
(15) Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.

This is not something I like to contemplate much because I'm not very good at it. I get jealous of those who rejoice and I feel superior to those who weep, particularly when they are weeping about something they brought upon themselves. How much different is the way we are commanded to live!

No comments: