Monday, September 28, 2009

Living Water

Ezekiel 47:1
(1) Then he brought me back to the door of the temple, and behold, water was issuing from below the threshold of the temple toward the east (for the temple faced east). The water was flowing down from below the south end of the threshold of the temple, south of the altar.

This is near the end of Ezekiel's vision for the new temple. It reminds me of:

Revelation 21:6
(6) And he said to me, "It is done! I am the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give from the spring of the water of life without payment.

And further along in that passage we find:

Revelation 21:22
(22) And I saw no temple in the city, for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb.

It seems to me that Ezekiel's temple will not be an actual temple existing forever. It seems more likely that this is metaphorical, but that it speaks to how Jesus became the fulfillment of the Law. It assures me that Jesus has taken care of all the sin offerings for me. I can rejoice knowing that the price has been paid and my sin has been atoned for.

I hope that you have a similar assurance. Come to the Living Water!

No comments: