Sunday, July 23, 2006

Getting Things Done

I write this sitting at a computer at the check-in station for my church's nursery. I'm participating in what we call "Summer Serve" where we give the regular workers a break. Doing this tends to make me feel a bit guilty for not doing more during the year since I probably could. This might get easier when we move to three services, so I wouldn't be coming home at 1:00 PM every Sunday. But this isn't the point.

As I sit here I can watch one of the TVs and listen to our pastor deliver his message. I heard it earlier today and it was quite good. But as I watch this I also take in all that's happening here at the church.

Behind me there is a nursery full of tiny children with people generously dealing with screams, poopy diapers, and the bordeom that sets in while watching other people's kids. There's another room with people dealing with kids who are in the early stages of walking. Yes, they can be fun, but anyone who ever had kids knows just how hard it can be as well. It's especially tough when you tend to discipline your kids into good behavior and others don't.

Much farther behind me are rooms with people who are doing their best to teach preschool and elementary kids about Jesus in a meaningful way. This takes no small amount of energy.

Around the corner is a kitchen where people are preparing lunch for those who want to purchase it. Two of our older church members were going around with a cart and bringing coffee and bakery to the various workers. It's always strange to see people with grey hair around here. They are great guys.

Up in a room I can't see are a bunch of people who are running the multimedia for the service. Someone directs what camera shots show up on the TV. Someone clicks on the song lyrics that are displayed during each song and, when the worship leader stays on track, the lyrics line up with the songs.

Outside there are drivers in buses waiting to take people too and from the satellite parking lots. They hang out and just ferry people back and forth, being as friendly about it as anyone can be.

So as I see the Pastor preach I'm reminded of a message that I've heard so many times. There are a lot of ways to serve. You don't have to be a funny, dynamic, charismatic speaker to be a servant of God. If you can smile and chat with people you can greet people at the door and show them around this somewhat intimidating place. If you are comfortable with computers you can help to check people in or work in the multimedia booth. If you like kids you can serve in a myriad of ways.

All of this happens so that people can come and hear the life-changing message of Christ. I'm actually tearing up as I write this. It's such an honor to be able to serve at all. It makes me wonder if I can do more.

No comments: