Wednesday, July 12, 2006

"...now I know my alpha beta gammas..."

I learned the Greek alphabet yesterday. I really enjoy listening to the lectures on the CD that accompanies this book. I also now know 10% of the New Testament because I know the word "kai", which means "and". Not quite as exciting as being able to exegete John 1, but it's a good start.

I am currently dealing with much drama regarding my mother and my upcoming visit to Cleveland. Amanda and Lily were supposed to join me, but Amanda is taking Lily to visit her sick grandfather next week. Mom is very upset and hurt that we are treating her so poorly. Now she tells me that she wants to have a long talk about some stuff that she's been keeping inside and that I don't listen to her.

The truth is that I don't really listen to her much. I have a hard time having a lot of respect for what she's got to say. My take is that her opinions are based on what is best for her, not for us. I want to honor her as much as I can, but I also have a deeper commitment to my wife, which I believe is what I am called to do based on what I read in Scripture. I also will not back down from the truth of the gospel.

My somewhat dry apologetics book did give me some good food for thought. Or, more specifically, it helped to crystallize something that I already considered. If we are convinced of our beliefs, no "defeater" of that belief can win. Also, if we truly have Truth, then nothing can overcome that. This isn't necessarily rational, but it's true. My Jehovah's Witness coworker doesn't threaten me one bit because I don't agree with his beliefs. Why should my beliefs threaten my mom if she knows that she's right?

Of course, the truth is that she wants my validation. She's wanted this for years. And I can't give it to her and maintain my integrity. It's not fun to hurt her feelings, but that's what happens.

So, given all this, I'm glad to know my alpha beta gammas. It gives me a nice bright spot on the week.

No comments: