Thursday, July 20, 2006

Hardcore Discipleship

I always appreciate talking to other Christians about how they go about their personal discipleship. For example, I've memorized a few books of the Bible, but I know that I need to do more. I read through Scripture systematically. I pray daily. I listen to sermons while I work out. I listen to praise & worship music. Basically, I do what I can to immerse myself in the things of God.

I thought I did pretty well when I stepped up my Bible reading plan to get on a pace to read all of Scripture in 4 months. I met someone last weekend who reads the Bible every month. He told me that he spends about 90 minutes/day reading the Bible.

This really hit home and it's a challenge I'd like to try. I think that you would get a much greater sense of continuity of Scripture in doing that. But I also know that I would have a hard time making the time for this right now. I have too many other things that I want to do. I always fear starting something that I can't finish.

But it's inspiring anyway. I contrast that with people who can't seem to make time even to read a Psalm every day. How hungry are we to spend time with Jesus? Hopefully very.

No comments: