Friday, July 20, 2007

Career Transitions

I'm in a training class this week to learn more about Sharepoint 2007. I see how this will benefit the Bank if I can get anyone to buy into it. I hope that we use it for more than just document management.

Our instructor is from Boston and it shows through every fiber of his being. He has the stereotypical Yankee edginess about him. He also has a very thick accent. What's interesting is that he went to OSU as well and he attended some of the same football games I did.

As a class we got into a conversation during a lab about how we ended up in IT. I was asked the inevitable question of how one gets from a degree in Chemical Engineering to IT work. I told my story and then made the statement that I'm trying very hard to get out of it. I also added that I'm trying to cut my salary in half. That of course got a reaction and I could explain that I wanted to go into ministry.

The cool part was that a guy behind me made the comment that he would like to do the same thing. The instructor was really surprised that two of us wanted to do this. Then he asked if anyone else wanted to and a lady near the back raised her hand. It's kind of cool to see that so many of us want to break out of this to do something more meaningful.

No comments: